My friends and I devoured the Chocnut Turon in a matter of seconds. Bite into the sweet crunchy fried spring roll wrapper and close your eyes to let the banana and peanut flavors inside it make your palate their playground. The vanilla ice cream, smothered with chocolate syrup and chocnut crumble, elevates the experience even more.
It was our first time to relish this wonderful treat. The only place I know where this delicious discovery can be enjoyed is at Bayler View Restaurant (also spelled as Bay-ler) in Baler Municipality, Aurora Province.
Chocnut Turon is a dessert that combines two Filipino favorites, and you guessed it, the two are chocnut and turon.
Chocnut comes from the brand name “Choc Nut” which is probably the most popular among the very affordable chocolate-peanut bar products in the Philippines. Although there are many brands, Filipinos generally call it “chocnut.” It’s a small powdery treat molded into a rectangular bar. Its usual ingredients based on the product’s packaging include roasted peanuts, cane sugar, milk powder, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
Turon is a popular street food. That’s sliced bananas, jackfruit, and sugar, rolled inside a spring roll wrapper, and then fried.
The marriage of chocnut and turon happened in 2012. Chef AC Agra was behind it. He said he loved chocnut growing up. With its overpowering peanutty taste, he thought it would go well with bananas, since bananas taste great with peanut butter.
He said he put together local ingredients and local food to be presented in a way that’s internationally acceptable. And since then, the Chocnut Turon has remained as one of Bayler View Restaurant’s bestsellers. Chef AC created the restaurant’s menu.
Here are some of the items you’ll find in their menu:
- Pako Salad/ Php 100 : Fiddlehead fern, tomatoes, onions, salted eggs, with salted egg dressing
- Sinigang na Seafood/ Php 220 : Seafood and vegetables in sour broth
- Sizzling Sisig/ Php 190 : Fried pork, liver, onions, finger chili, and seasoning
- Kare-Kare with Crispy Pork/ Php 180 (must) : Crispy fried pork on vegetables with peanut sauce
- Boneless Crispy Pata/ Php 420 (must) : Boneless crispy pork knuckles, this is my top pick in their menu
- Pinakbet with Bagnet/ Php 180 (must) : Crunchy fried pork on top of vegetables sauteed in shrimp taste
- Grilled Blue Marlin Steak/ Php 190
- Bay-ler Supreme Pizza/ Php 420
- Chocnut Turon/ Php 140
- Banana Split/ Php 180 : They have a different version of the traditional banana split. Theirs has bananas fried with sugar, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and cherry on top.
- 3-Liter Red Iced Tea/ Php 180
- Mango Shake/ Php 80
- Choco Banana Shake/ Php 80
- Watermelon Shake/ Php 80
- Aurora Brewed Coffee/ Php 40
*Rates may change without prior notice
BAY-LER VIEW HOTEL
Address: Buton St. Brgy. Sabang, Baler, Aurora
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/baylerviewhotels/
Tel. Nos.: 0919-2863105 / 0927-3638735
Email: [email protected]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/baylerview @baylerview
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/baylerviewhotel/ @baylerviewhotel
Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Hotel_Review-g2036998-d2482433-Reviews-Bayler_View_Hotel-Baler_Aurora_Province_Central_Luzon_Region_Luzon.html
Help keep this website free. Please share the article, like my Appetizing Adventure Facebook Page, and follow me @carloflorenzo on Instagram and Twitter. Read my online profile: www.CarloLorenzo.com. Thank you.